As expected, Google recently rolled out a booster update for companies that already have a mobile-friendly presence. Many media reports claimed that since this is a mobile booster update it may not impact businesses as such. But contrary to the reports, there were quite a few businesses that were severely impacted because of the update.
If you happened to miss out on the update completely then here’s a lowdown on the important features of the mobile booster update.
- The update was rolled out as page-by-page and not as a site-wide ranking signal.
- The mobile booster update was rolled out globally, supporting all languages.
- This was an algorithm update, so if you’ve made any on-site modifications, they will go live when the Google bot next crawls your web pages.
In the wake of the mobile booster update, this is what Google had advised businesses without a smartphone-friendly online presence:
Remember, the intent of the search query is still a very strong signal – so even if a page with high-quality content is not mobile-friendly, it could still rank well if it has great, relevant content.
(This statement serves as a reminder that great content is still one of the most important factors in SEO, something all would do well to remember.)
Businesses that recently lost out to their competitors in search rankings need to take this mobile-friendly test to check the quality of their mobile-friendly web pages and see if they are following the industry standards.
As they say, it’s never too late for even the most stubborn businesses to take the call, especially with Google releasing stats that say nearly one-third of all mobile searches have local intent! If your business thrives in the local market then upgrading your site with a
This will not only better serve your purpose but also get you some mileage, especially with Google continuing to make the web world a more mobile-friendly one. A miss here may cost you in the long run.
If you’re interested in getting a mobile-friendly version for your website, do contact me ASAP to see how we can get you started.
Latest posts by Nora Kramer (see all)
- Boring Social Media Content? Here’s How to Fix It… - May 16, 2018
- 6 Everyday Writing Mistakes That Make You Look Unprofessional - May 15, 2018
- Weekly Roundup: May 7th, 2018 - May 4, 2018